Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Wanting ideas for uploading a task with sub tasks

countdiso says:
Hi all, I'm looking for some ideas/help for a small problem.

I receive by various means text for jobs that either need doing or have been done. The text comes in the form of one line which is the title of the job, then subsequent lines which are the various tasks that make up the job.

At the moment I store these in a spreadsheet, but would rather use RTM.

So what would be your ideas for how I add/import these into RTM (I don't want to manually type or cut and paste each sub task in)
Posted at 11:23am on September 18, 2024
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi countdiso,
Our suggestion would be to import these all together via email, for example:

Parent task #Work #group123
Subtask 1 #group123
Subtask 2 #group123

and then you can view the #group123 tag, then use drag and drop to drop those subtasks in the parent task. (Then you could delete the tag if you wanted.)

I hope this helps, and I understand it's a bit of setup to make that work. Keep me posted on what you find! 💙
Posted 2 days ago
countdiso says:
Thanks Andrew, that doesn't sound like a bad way to do it, I might give that a try. 👍

I'm hoping a Milk Script guru will appear and solve the problem for me 😛
Posted 1 day ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi countdiso,

Good point! On that note it would be possible to use this script we created to add a task from a note.

There's a more thorough example on that page but following my previous example it would be formatted like so:

* Parent task #Work
** Subtask 1
** Subtask 2

Just a little formatting ahead of time, but I assume you're doing that already to get them out of your spreadsheet.

Let me know if I can help with anything else along the way! 💙
Posted 1 day ago