Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

iOS Widgets Not Updating

opuntia2 says:
The iOS widget doesn't update unless I open the app. I use the RTM web app quite frequently and completed tasks are not being reflected in the widget. I have background app refresh on and I do have an app badge which updates immediately after completing a task on the web app, so there is a push sync happening. I tested this out yesterday and not once did the widget update after completing several tasks on the web app. I'm on a iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 18.0 and I have the most up-to-date iOS RTM app. (9.0.2).
Posted at 2:45pm on September 27, 2024
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi opuntia2,
There are a few things that could affect this. Basically they come down to either background refresh or widget delays.

Background refresh is required to make the app sync in the background, and to update to changes made in another app like the web app. A push notification will indicate to the iPhone (or iPad) that changes were made, and it will update the badge and tell the iPhone to sync (when it can, more below). The app badge should update right away with that push notification.

Then, a background sync may occur but not necessarily right away. iOS manages the background refresh and tries to put things together in batches (sync the Remember The Milk app when an internet connection is in use, etc.), so this may be delayed from when the app badge is updated.

This can be interrupted by manually quitting the app (i.e. swiping up from the recent apps screen), which would indicate that you don't want background refresh to continue. This would prevent it until the iPhone is next started.

Last, the widgets will update on the screen after about 15 minutes. These will update based on local data, so once a sync occurs, the widget will be updated, but again iOS will choose when that occurs to prevent them from using too much battery.

In your case, if you open the app and exit it again (without manually closing it), does the widget update some time later?

I hope this helps but keep me posted on what you find! And feel free to contact us so we can discuss some specifics! 💙
Posted 5 days ago